Traffic regulations in Europe - Romania

Category: Traffic regulations in Europe

What should be considered on a motorcycle tour to or through Romania? What documents do you need to bring with you? MotoGS WorldTours and MotoGS Rental provide you with answers to your most important questions.
Errors and omissions excepted - all information without guarantee.

Romania is a member state of the EU, however the euro is not generally recognized as a currency in Romania, but the euro it has an interesting history. Romanian Leu is the first polymer or plastic currency introduced in Europe and has been used as a means of payment in Romania ever since. Although it had been planned for a long time to replace the Ron with the Euro, this plan has failed so far. This is mainly due to the high inflation rate in the country. At border crossings, in the vicinity of motorways and tourist attractions, the Euro may be accepted as a means of payment. However, you should not rely on it. Especially away from the tourist regions, the Romanians will convert (RON/EUR) and you will usually have to pay in the local currency.

Vehicle papers and other necessary documents:
The vehicle registration document or the registration certificate part I is mandatory.
The IVK - International Insurance Card (formerly Green Card, including RO) is proof of liability insurance and is also mandatory.
The EU driver's license is accepted in Romania, so no international driver's license needs to be carried along as well. For non-EU citizens, an international driving license is required in addition to the national driving license of the country of origin.

For EU citizens, an identity card is sufficient for a tourist stay. For non-EU citizens it is of course necessary to carry a passport. As a rule, normally non-EU citizens can enter Romania without a visa. However, this also depends on the country of origin. Therefore, it makes sense for non-EU citizens to find out about the entry requirements for Romania on the following website "VisaHQ". This is for your own safety.

All personal documents must be valid for at least 3 months upon departure.

With a rented motorcycle to or through Romania:
Basically not a problem, but riders who make journeys to or through Romania with a vehicle that is not registered in their name must carry a user permit from your rental company to be on the safe side. This license can be downloaded from the following link.
Requirements to be able to rent a motorcycle in Romania, you must be at least 18 years old (this can vary depending on the motorcycle category and local rental company). As a rule, however, the rental stations require a minimum age of 21 or 23 years. For riders under 21, sometimes even under 23 years of age, young driver surcharges are often required.

Health insurance:
In principle, all travelers to Romania or in general to the Balkan countries, regardless of their country of origin, should take out international health insurance. This can also be done easily here via Global Rescue. Surely this type of insurance protection is a bit more expensive than other providers. However, as the name suggests, this type of coverage is built on Rescue. Therefore not comparable. However, this should not be understood as advertising, it is a simple recommendation.

Helmet obligation:
Helmets are compulsory! Only helmets that comply with ECE standard 22 are permitted.

First aid kit / warning vests:
It is not absolutely necessary to carry a high-visibility vest and a first-aid kit. However, it is always advisable to have safety vests, first aid kit, a motorcycle warning triangle and a small warning light with you, just in case.

Outside of built-up areas, dipped headlights (or alternatively daytime running lights) must be used all year round during the day. This regulation also applies to rides within built-up areas.
Carrying a spare bulb set is recommended. Excluded are motorcycles equipped with LED lights.

Speed limits in Romania:
In urban areas: 50 km/h
Out of town: 90 km/h
Expressways (other): 90 km/h
Expressways or national European roads (E): 100 km/h;
Motorway: 130 km/h

Alcohol limit:
The general traffic rules in Romania also determine with how much alcohol riders are allowed to ride. The blood alcohol limit is 0.0‰. There is nothing to discuss there either. Riding under the influence of alcohol is strictly prohibited.

Environmental zone:
A restriction on the use of motor vehicles of any kind by a possible environmental zone is not known and, according to official information, is not planned in the future.

Tired of tolls on motorways, tunnels, and bridges.
All over Romania, all motorcyclists can rejoice because there are no tolls for motorcyclists.
And this is true everywhere, so for tunnels, bridges (like Vidin, Cernavodă, and Giurgeni), and highways.
Otherwise, the vignette obligation applies to cars.

Correct behavior in the event of an accident or breakdown:
In some countries, including Romania, it is important to call the police even in the event of "minor damage", because the police protocol is the basis for the settlement of the damage.
However, as a general rule, the Romanian police only come to the scene of an accident if there are injuries so a police accident report is not always prepared.
Therefore, in any case, try to fill out the European accident report provided under the link together with the other party involved in the accident. Pay particular attention to the crosses to be set and the number of crosses to be specified. The accident report usually has a relatively high probative value. If possible, notify the police, at least by telephone, so that the data can be recorded.

Emergency numbers in Romania:
The emergency numbers are 112 and 961

As of 07/05/2023

Traffic regulations in Europe - Romania, Moto Trip Price, Best Motorcycle Routes


no tolls for motorcycles in romania european accident report environmental zone romania currency ron